Town: Litchfield

Litchfield was located in 1869 by the St. Paul & Pacific Rail Road Company on the line of its road and near the geographical center of the county.

A random historical sketch of Meeker County, Minnesota title page

Presbyterian Church, Meeker County, Minnesota

The first Presbyterian Church and society organized in the county of Meeker was at Forest City by Rev. J. C. Whitney, who came to Forest City in the spring of 1858 and organized a Presbyterian society Sept. 25th, 1859 and styled “The trustees of the Westminister Presbyterian Society of Forest City.” The first trustees were I. C. Deltmater, Richard Pool, A. C. Smith, J. W. Griswold and A. W. Angier. The only one of these men now remaining in the county is A. C. Smith. In connection with this organization Rev. J. C. Whitney labored until the fall of 1862. …

Presbyterian Church, Meeker County, Minnesota Read More »

A random historical sketch of Meeker County, Minnesota title page

Protestant Episcopal Church

Rev. T. G. Crump commenced holding Episcopal services in the Masonic Hall in Litchfield in July 1870. At the time of the morning service on Sunday the 5th, and 12th, days, of March 1871 notice was publicly given for a meeting of the male members of the Protestant Episcopal Church and congregation to be held in the Masonic Hall in Litchfield Saturday evening the 18th day of March A. D. 1871. Rev. T. G. Crump presided at such meeting and D. E. Potter was chosen secretary. A permanent organization was had, the following persons were elected church wardens and vestry …

Protestant Episcopal Church Read More »

A random historical sketch of Meeker County, Minnesota title page

Methodist Episcopal Church in Meeker County

Rev. John Robson preached the first sermon in Forest City, November 1856. Mr. Robson continued to preach in Forest City during the winter of 1856-7 and through the summer of 1857. In May 1857, Wm. Walker, organized a Sunday school, Wait H. Dart Superintendent. Rev. Thomas Haiwood was the first preacher on the Forest City circuit, in 1857. Rev. S. F. Sterritt, of Monticello, Presiding Elder. First Quarterly Meeting held at Kingston, October l0th, 1857. Official members present, Rev. S. F. Sterritt, P. E. Thomas Harwood, P. E. and E. H. Whitney, L. E. and B. Lyford, Stewards, E. H. …

Methodist Episcopal Church in Meeker County Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top