East Grand Forks was successful in materializing their political ideas of municipal ownership in the campaign from 1901 to 1903, by the election of Captain John F. Brandt as their mayor. Municipal ownership had always been advocated by Captain Brandt, and his advancement to the mayoralty of the city at that time is what gave them the municipal ownership of the city light plant.
In 1897, and again in 1898, Captain Brandt was elected city treasurer of East Grand Forks. In 1899, he was elected mayor of the city, and this election was followed by two others, one in 1901, and the other in 1903; the last one immediately preceding the present incumbent.
Captain Brandt, during the late unpleasantness with Spain, raised Company F, of the 15th Minnesota Regiment, doing duty at Augusta, Georgia, in command of his company.
C.F. Cooper & Company, History of the Red River Valley, Past And Present: Including an Account of the Counties, Cities, Towns And Villages of the Valley From the Time of Their First Settlement And Formation, volumes 1-2; Grand Forks: Herald printing company, 1909.