Biography of W. H. Davy of Moorhead, Minnesota

W. H. Davy, a prominent capitalist and mayor of Moorhead, Minnesota, was born and educated in Bath, Ontario, Canada. After a brief stint in the grocery business in Chicago, he moved to Duluth, Minnesota, in 1869 and then settled in Moorhead in 1873. Initially employed as a bookkeeper, Davy later co-founded Linwood & Davy, a grocery business. He transitioned to the grain and real estate sectors in 1889, focusing solely on real estate by 1898. Davy held several civic roles, including chairman of the Board of County Commissioners and vice-president of the First National Bank of Moorhead. He also invested in telephone companies and lumbering interests. An Episcopalian, Davy is known for his community contributions.


W H Davy
W H Davy

W. H. Davy, capitalist and mayor of the city of Moorhead, Minnesota, the subject of this sketch, was born and educated at Bath, Ontario, Canada. In 1864 he engaged in the grocery business in Chicago and at the close of the war he returned to Canada, where he remained until 1869, when he came to Duluth, Minnesota, and from there made his first visit to the Red River Valley in 1871, and being so well impressed with the future of the Red River country, he returned in 1873 and took up his permanent residence in Moorhead. He was employed as bookkeeper in the large mercantile house of Brun & Finkle for several years, when he opened up the grocery house of Linwood & Davy. In 1889 he retired from this firm and engaged in grain and real estate business, which he continued until 1898. When his real estate and outside and larger interest required all his attention he closed out his grain business. Mr. Davy has always taken a prominent and active interest in his town and county, having served as chairman of the Board of County Commissioners for several years, vice-president First National Bank of Moorhead for many years, chairman of Water and Light Commission four years, and member of the Charter Commission; was one of three who composed the Fergus Falls Telephone and the Great Western Telephone Companies, built thirteen exchanges besides about 500 miles long distance lines. He has large lumbering interests in British Columbia and a large land owner in the Red River Valley, having at this time over 1,000 acres under cultivation. He has also large property interests in Duluth and other parts of the state. Mr. Davy is an Episcopalian and gives much of his time and money for the support of his church. He is one of our best citizens, and stands for the good in all things.

Source

C.F. Cooper & Company, History of the Red River Valley, Past And Present: Including an Account of the Counties, Cities, Towns And Villages of the Valley From the Time of Their First Settlement And Formation, volumes 1-2; Grand Forks: Herald printing company, 1909.

Pin It on Pinterest

Discover more from Minnesota Genealogy

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Scroll to Top